Responsible tourism route at Baan Mueang PonAmazing Green Route Green route
- Baan Mueang Pon is a Shan village located in Amphoe Khun Yuam, 75 kilometres south of Mae Hong Son.
- Baan Mueang Pon offers half-day tour programme which involves experiencing various aspects of Shan culture, such as art, handicrafts, traditional architecture and local dishes.
- In the morning, you can enjoy the scenery as you drive on a mountain road for 1.5 hours before meeting the local guide at Muang Pon Temple, an important place for the villagers. The guide will explain about the Shan lifestyle as you wander around the village and you can watch skilled local artisans producing Shan arts and crafts. You can learn how to make “Tam Khon”, a Shan Buddhist symbol that is used in traditional ceremonies, or the typical Thai hat called “Goob Tai”.
- Next you will visit a traditional Tai House and learn how to cook Shan food, which will be your lunch.
- In the afternoon, you can learn more about Shan wisdom as you watch the Thai-Yai making clothes and handicrafts. Finally the tour goes back to Mae Hong Son.